Vaping, an act of inhaling and exhaling vapor that is produced by an electronic cigarette and other vaping devices, has become a popular activity in Australia in recent years.
Vaping in Australia has gained popularity among different age groups, and it has been a subject of interest for many researchers and health organizations.
Let’s explore the different types of vaping that are used by people across all age groups in Australia and the government’s rules, regulations, and restrictions concerning vaping.
A few key statistics that highlight the prevalence of vaping in Australia:
As per the data from 2019 to 2019, the number of people who have used e-cigarettes has grown from 9% to 11%, which showcases that Australians are drawn towards vaping.
Of those who have tried e-cigarettes, 18% used them in 2019 at least monthly, compared to 10% in 2016. In 2016, 6% used them daily and now the number has grown to 9%
Youngsters between 18 and 24 years of age have shown a significant interest in vaping, and nearly 64% of current smokers and 20% of non-smokers in this age group have reported trying e-cigarettes. 74% of these youngsters tried vaping out of curiosity.
- Adolescents (12 to 17 years of age)
14% of 12 to 17 years of age have used an e-cig and 32% of them have done so within the last month.
Most of the students who have vaped said that 63% got their most recent e-cigarette from their peers, 8% from their siblings, and 7% from their parents.
Around 12% of the students purchased it on their own.
Australian Health Organizations are saying the following:
Many key Australian health organizations, including the Cancer Council Australia, the Australian Medical Association (AMA), and the Australian Council on Smoking and Health (ACOSH), have published a report on the state of e-cigarettes being used by Aussies. They have emphasized the following:
- a) Insufficient evidence on smoking cessation: The organizations assert that there is no sufficient evidence to promote the use of e-cig for smoking cessation. Though vaping is useful for some to stop smoking, the long-term effects and success rates are still not well established.
- b) Evidence of Health Harms: There is increased evidence of health harms that are associated with vaping. Though e-cigarettes are less harmful than traditional tobacco products, they come with risks.
- c) Normalization and Youth Attraction: Health organizations have expressed their concerns about e-cigarettes that can normalize the act of smoking and attract young people to initiate the use of nicotine. It can change these young adults into nicotine addicts.
- d) Call for Proper Regulation: Health organizations call for the proper regulation of e-cigarettes to make sure that they are used responsibly and to reduce potential health risks.
Regulations of the Government on Vaping:
The legal status of vaping in Australia has been a subject of debate, and there have been some significant changes around it.
As of October 1, 2021, all the nicotine vaping products, which include nicotine e-cigarettes, nicotine pods, and liquid nicotine, can only be purchased with the prescription of the doctor.
The regulation is within Australia and for products that are imported from overseas.
Nicotine vaping products can be legally used by the person whose name is written on the prescription and not supplied to friends or family members in Australia or overseas.
These strict prescription requirements are aimed at regulating and monitoring the use of nicotine-containing vaping products precisely.
It is important to note that nicotine-free vape supplies, devices, and e-liquids can still be sold and purchased in most of the states and territories in Australia.
These products can be found in online retail stores and other tobacco retail outlets.
As of September 2020, many states and territories in Australia have different regulations regarding the sale, advertising, and promotion of vaping products, as given below:
- New South Wales(NSW) – Devices can be sold without nicotine, and there should be no promotion for e-cigarettes. Advertisements in public and in stores are prohibited.
- Victoria (VIC) – Devices can be sold without nicotine, but there should be no promotion for e-cigs. The display of vape supplies in stores is also restricted, except for some specialist retailers.
- Western Australia(WA) – Devices cannot be sold, but nicotine-free e-liquids can be sold, and there are no restrictions on promotional material.
- South Australia (SA) – devices can be sold without nicotine, and there should be no promotion for e-cigarettes. No advertising inside the store or in public is allowed.
- Northern Territory (NT) – Devices can be sold without nicotine, and promotional material can be used without restrictions.
- Australian Capital Territory (ACT) – Devices can be sold without nicotine, but promotion for e-cigarettes is prohibited. Advertising inside the store or in public is not allowed as well.
- Tasmania (TAS) – Devices can be sold without nicotine, and no promotion must be done for e-cigarettes. No advertising is allowed inside stores or in public.
Types of Vape Products:
There is a diverse array of vaping products available on the market that cater to different people’s preferences.
Some common types of vaping products are given below:
- Cig-a-likes: These devices are like traditional cigarettes in size and shape, which makes them a popular choice for those who have just started to vape, and these cigs are known for their ease of use and simplicity.
- Vape pens: Vape pens are compact pen-shaped devices that allow more options to be customized and are suitable for users who want to balance simplicity and customization.
- Box Mods: These are large and very powerful devices that allow users to adjust settings like wattage and temperature. Experienced vapers who want greater control can use them.
- Pod Systems: Pod Systems is a two-part design where a battery and disposable pod is attached. These are user-friendly and convenient for vapers.
- Disposable E-cigs: These are ready-to-use devices that are discarded after use and are ideal for those who like a portable and hassle-free vaping experience.
- Mechanical Mods: Mechanical mods are unregulated devices that attract advanced vapers, and these require a better understanding of vaping and battery safety, so experienced vapers prefer them more.
- Nicotine Salts: Some vaping products make use of nicotine salts that offer smoother throat hits and quick nicotine absorption. Nicotine salts are popular among those who seek a cigarette-like experience.
Vaping is a popular activity in Australia, and individuals of different age groups have various vaping desires, so they seek many alternatives.
As per the experience of the vaper, they would choose the vape devices and e-liquids.
As an Ejuice manufacturer, you should be able to meet the diverse needs of vapers and also meet the government regulations to the evolving health and safety concerns associated with vaping.
If you are looking to increase your brand popularity and ROI then choose White Label E-Liquid for building your vape business or an online vape store.
It is essential for vape retailers and vapers to stay informed about the regulations in their respective states and territories to make a responsible choice.
Retailers must sell responsibly as well to ensure potential health risks and other issues are eliminated.